Hancock Park, located in the eastern portion of the original Rancho La Brea area, was purchased by Major Henry Hancock in 1863. The residential subdivision of Hancock Park was developed by Major Hancock’s son, G. Allan Hancock, in the 1920s. Outstanding architects of the era designed the palatial two-story, single family residences in various Period Revival styles (including Tudor Revival, English Revival, Spanish Colonial Revival, Mediterranean Revival, Monterey Revival, and American Colonial Revival) for influential members of Los Angeles society. The vast majority of the residences are set back 50 feet from the street, as insisted upon by G. Allan Hancock, and include side driveways generally leading though a porte cochere to a rear garage. Past prominent Hancock Park residents have included millionaire Howard Hughes, entertainers Mae West and Nat King Cole, Broadway Department Store magnate Arthur Letts, Jr., and architect William Pereira.
The Hancock Park HPOZ Board, comprised of local stakeholders with expertise in building, architecture, preservation and real estate, meets on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month, though meetings are canceled if there are no business items to discuss. Meetings take place at the John C Fremont Branch Public Library, 6121 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90038. Agendas for HPOZ meetings can be found here.
For any questions or to schedule a review of a proposed project within this HPOZ, please contact Renata Dragland of the Department of City Planning's Office of Historic Resources, at (213) 978-1797, or firstname.lastname@example.org and fill out the HPOZ Initial Screening Checklist.