Los Angeles Department of City Planning

You are here

Windsor Village

Windsor Village is an intact residential district with distinct visual character. Originally ubdivided for residential development adjacent to the streetcar lines, early twentieth-century Windsor Village was sparsely populated with it mostly undeveloped compared to neighboring streets until the 1920s and 30s. At this time, with the automobile reigning as the primary mode of transportation in the City, Windsor Village’s adjacency to Wilshire Boulevard made it a fashionable location for single- and multiplefamily residential development. Windsor Village, which was in the pre-World War II era often associated by proximity to such upscale tracts as Windsor Square, found its own identity in the 1960s with the formation of Windsor Park (now Harold A. Henry Park) at the heart of the neighborhood. The continued commercialization of Crenshaw and Olympic Boulevard gave it natural boundaries, and the Windsor Village neighborhood name began to appear in the 1970s.

The Country Club Park - Wilshire Park - Windsor Village HPOZ Board, comprised of local stakeholders with expertise in building, architecture, preservation and real estate, meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month, though meetings are canceled if there are no business items to discuss. Meetings take place at the Wilshire United Methodist Church, at 4350 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90005. Agendas for HPOZ meetings can be found here.

For any questions or to schedule a review of a proposed project within this HPOZ, please contact Bradley Furuya  of the Department of City Planning's Office of Historic Resources, at (213) 978-1218, or bradley.furuya@lacity.org , and fill out the HPOZ Initial Screening Checklist.
 

 

AttachmentSize
PDF icon Windsor_Village_SRVY_102114.pdf474.72 KB