Los Angeles Department of City Planning

You are here

Banning Park

Banning Park HPOZ is located near the Port of Los Angeles in the Wilmington community. The area comprising the HPOZ was originally part of the estate of General Phineas Banning, the “father of Wilmington,” an early developer of the port of San Pedro and a railroad tycoon. In 1927, William Wrigley Jr., of chewing gum fame, purchased a portion of the estate, now known as Banning Park, and developed the area with residences to house employees of Wilmington businesses. The architectural cohesiveness of this neighborhood can be attributed to locally prominent architect Sid Spearin, who called the development the “Original Court of Nation” and based his residential designs on Period Revival styles including Spanish, Dutch, American Colonial and Tudor Revival.  The Banning Park HPOZ was adopted by City Council in 2001.

Projects in Banning Park that require board review are reviewed by the Harbor HPOZ Board, which also reviewes cases in the Vinegar Hill HPOZ.  The Harbor HPOZ Board, comprised of local stakeholders with expertise in building, architecture, preservation and real estate, meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month at the San Pedro Regional Branch Library, though meetings are canceled if there are no business items to discuss. Agendas for HPOZ meetings can be found here.

For any questions or to schedule a review of a proposed project within this HPOZ, please contact Bradley Furuya of the Department of City Planning's Office of Historic Resources, at (213) 847-3642, or bradley.furuya@lacity.org , and fill out the HPOZ Initial Screening Checklist.