Los Angeles Department of City Planning

You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How to apply for a project within an HPOZ?

To apply for a project within an HPOZ follow these instructions: How to Submit a Project Within an HPOZ.

  • How does the HPOZ office clear permits?

If you have visited the Department of Building and Safety at 201 North Figueroa St, and they have directed you to the HPOZ Office, here’s what you need to know. Depending on the scale of your project it will be subject to one of these procedures: CWC, CWNC, COA, CCMP. For more information on project approval process and requirements, click here. After your project has been approved, the City Staff in charge of you HPOZ can clear the project electronically, meaning there is no need to come into the HPOZ office. For a smoother permitting process, the HPOZ unit advises consulting the HPOZ planner before apply for permits at the Department of Building and Safety. We recommend this, because of the specific project requirements and plan detail requirements the HPOZ units asks for.

  •  How long will it take to get approval on a project within an HPOZ?

The approval timeline varies depending on the type of project and processing procedures. For a timeline estimate consult the project type chart and the Review Procedures Chart found under the HPOZ Review Process.

  • What is the best way to contact my HPOZ’s Planner?

The best way to contact an HPOZ Planner is through email, contact information can be found here. To make sure communication is as efficient as possible it is best to send an email with the project address and HPOZ name in the subject, and a brief project description in the body of the email. If you have an existing permit, please specify the 15 digit number in your correspondence with your HPOZ planner. For example:

Subject: 100 N Spring St.; Highland Park HPOZ;
Body: In-kind reroofing of the structure; Permit XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

  •  Where can I get more information on restoration practices?

Visit the Preservation Resources section of our site for general restoration information, or visit your HPOZs page for HPOZ specific restoration requirements detailed in the Preservation Plan.

  •  Do I need approval for projects that do not require a building permit?

Yes, HPOZs require approval for many types of projects that do not require permits; such as painting, concrete alterations, most landscaping, and some simple repairs (replacing a pane of glass in a window). A good rule of thumb is to remember all exterior alterations require HPOZ approval. If you are not sure if a project requires approval, contact your HPOZs Staff, with your address and HPOZ name in the subject of the email.

  • Where can I learn more about my structures building permit history?

Visit the Department of Building and Saftey's public Building Records System to view full the permit history for your property, 

  • What are the boundaries of an HPOZ?

HPOZ boundary maps can be found on you HPOZ’s .

  • What fees apply for HPOZ project review?

There is currently no fee for Conforming Work cases (CWC and CWNC), the cost of Certificate Cases(COA and CCMP) can be calculated with the Department of City Planning’s Fee Estimator Tool.

  • Are there funding options to help restore my home?

The HPOZ program does not offer any financial incentives. However, the Mills Act, a tax incentive program, may be able to help reduce property taxes on a historic property to aid in its rehabilitation. More information about the program can be found under the Mills Act Historical Property Contract Program portion of the site.

  • When do HPOZ Boards meet?

HPOZ Boards meet twice monthly, their meeting time and location is listed on the individual HPOZ pages. Meeting times can also be found on the HPOZ Calendar found in the HPOZ Board page.

  • I’ve been cited by the Department of Building & Safety and/or the Los Angeles Housing Department, what are the next steps?

All unpermitted work must go before the HPOZ Board for approval. If the unpermitted construction does not comply with the Preservation Plan, the homeowner will be asked to restore the property to its original condition. If the work can be altered to comply, the HPOZ Board will recommend options to make the structure compatible. If you are unsure whether work done on your property was permitted or will require permitting, contact thethe Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety and HPOZ Planning Staff.